10.13.2008

Just Because We're not Big Budget

I firmly believe that just because we're small and "low budget," it doesn't mean we have to appear that way. I mean this in every sense of the word, too, because there are so many ways to do a lot with a little, especially these days. For example, you can start with a business card. It goes without saying that if you work in visual media, you better have a good looking card. It's sort of the first "impression" of what your work looks like. You can do a fairly good looking card with services like vistaprint.com and others out there. The trick is getting some help from a designer or someone with a keen eye for design and layout. Then, getting some help from someone who knows Photoshop well and can show you how to properly upload the artwork so it looks great. We're lucky because I was a web designer before I got into film, and my husband is a wonderful illustrator, so that helped. But paying attention to all of the details, even the presentation layout is a good idea, as well. Megha and I spent a lot of time putting together the look/feel of our presentation, using images we went out and took, then spending quite a bit of time to pick out a color scheme, the proper folders and other materials. As we're moving ahead, we're using this same strategy for the movie. I am working on thinking through all of the details, like the specific shot compositions, and using small, inexpensive ways to make them visually innovative. For me, this goes back to the basic framing and how I can add depth of field and texture to each shot. We can't afford fancy cranes and tons of movement, but that's okay with me, it's much more about emotion and context for me in this film...

3 comments:

Adeel Akhter said...

Hi i just wanted little help from you. If you can kindly send me few links from your blog related to Indie Film distribution please. And if you have links from other blogs too please send those too me too please.


Your blog is really interesting though i havent read a lot but still liked it

regards

Science & Sanctity Clothing said...

Hey, your outlook on the need for aesthetics to shadow the lack of a "Big Budget" is really spot on - I could not agree more. There is so much talent out there that is lost in the "system" due to that first impression that sometimes can't compete only due to a lack of aesthetic appeal - this is a problem that I am working really hard to help. I am not one for clichés, trust me, but image is "alot", especially working in a field such as film, art, fashion or music. I look forward to hearing more about the film. Good luck!

Jason
Owner/Head Designer
Science & Sanctity Clothing
http://www.scienceandsanctity.com

anotherfilmmaker said...

Jason,

thanks so much for the note, i agree with you, that is really is about creating an aesthetic and really making things work. your line looks very interesting!

lp