2.08.2007

Never Ending Revisions

Screenwriting is definitely a constant process of rewriting. It takes an unusual force of stamina and patience to go through the rewriting process with a script. This is summer and even into the fall, that was all I did--rewrite two scripts that I really wanted to get out there. Now, with Raspberry Magic in the early phases of becoming a movie, there's more rewriting. I'm working with the producers to polish the script, and my mentors are also helping with more notes. Then, with my other script, Kate's Rules, more notes from friends and fellow profs. at Loyola, and luckily one manager who's been responsive to my work has also given me notes. It honestly feels like it'll never end. But it's a good place to be in, getting notes from producers, managers and people who generally seem to know what they are doing. I find, though, that most of my work in terms of rewriting is deepening characters. The plots are all fine and the general story flows, but there can always, always be more work done on character. Here are some ways I've been deepening characters:

1. Add bits of dialogue to clarify a character's perspectives on things or to even reiterate plot point. I try to keep the exposition to a minimal, but a couple of people pointed out some good places for me to add just a tad more to clarify plot.

2. Adding scenes to reveal character. Not too much of this, but a little scene here and there is helpful to reveal a character's happiness, unhappiness or general state of mind. It is particularly helpful when a character goes through a major emotional shift in terms of plot.

3. Using other characters to deepen your protagonist. Audiences learn about your character through how he/she interacts with other people. Sometimes, adding dialogue or even more interesting actions between your protagonist and other characters can really reveal a lot about your protagonist.

4. Deleting uneeded or repetitive scenes. It's always nice to cut, cut, and cut. The tighter a script can be, the better. It's always nice when people read your script and say you can delete things because they get it.

No comments: