2.14.2008

School Shooting

I was really saddened to learn that the child who was shot in the Oxnard school shooting was declared brain dead. It's a sad epidemic in this country--kids shooting kids over what used to be a simple case of bullying or playground angst. Every time I hear of another shooting, I am disturbed, and I really feel like we, as the adults, have to do more to stop this kind of violence amongst youth. It feels like schools have become battle fields, and there is nothing being done to quell it. No politician seems to have an answer to stopping these kinds of shootings. I'm def. a proponent of gun control, but I also think there needs to be education and awareness among teachers and students about this kind of violence.

2 comments:

Andres said...

At some point this kid started to believe that this form of violence was a solution to his perceived problem. It really makes you wonder where the break in reality and human decency occurred. I refuse to believe that he arrived from the womb with this mental state and judgment.

Was it repeated exposure to violence in all forms of media? Maybe. Was it abuse at home? Maybe. Was is lack of parental guidance? Maybe.

I believe it has to be a combination of things, but the biggest factor is adult intervention by either his parents, another family member or some adult.

Most people that I know that I consider to be well rounded decent human beings didn't get that way all on their own. They have a strong support system, usually parents, that cared enough to make sure that they knew right from wrong and especially the value of every human life.

As a fairly new father myself this is very disturbing. I do everything that I can do to make sure that my son would never think that a gun could solve any problem (even if I am a huge fan of FICTIONAL action movies). If I do my part, then it's not my son I have to worry about. It's the other kids that fall through the cracks.

I'll get off my soap box there. I need help the situation and go apply to be a Big Brother or Mentor anyway!

anotherfilmmaker said...

i agree with you, andres... it's almost like a form of terrorism, isn't it? i can't believe that after i posted this yesterday, another shooting. very upsetting.