1.04.2008

The New Year!

I'm back in LA after ten days of complete chill time with the fam in NC--lots of eating good food and watching movies. Usually when I'm back in NC, I start to feel a little restless, but this time, I felt pretty content with being lazy. I guess that was an indication of just how burnt out I was at the end of December. Now I feel refreshed and ready to move forward with everything. In the few days I've been back in LA, things have been moving full force ahead. I met with our DP to discuss Raspberry Magic in depth, and the producer and I have a number of meetings coming up. We've also got some very exciting actor attachments on the horizon! I'm stirring creatively, which is great, there are so many things I want to do like develop a web series (I have a great premise!), plus so many new scripts to write. But it's tough to do everything so I'm going to focus on the feature (of course!) and my other scripts that are coming together. I'm also writing a new piece of flash fiction every week--it's been a great tool in terms of pushing my writing. This weekend, I am taking an intensive course called, "Acting for Directors." The class is a bit pricey, but it's well worth it. I really like Judith Weston because she is not pretentious and doesn't waste any time pimping her own resume. She does a series of intense and focused acting exercises geared toward directors. They are nerve racking, especially for those of us who are nervous about being vulnerable in front of other people, but it is really a great way for me to expand my process as a director both technically and creatively. I am generally stoked about the new year and am looking forward to busting my ass and making shit happen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flash fiction is a wonderful teacher. I guess what it basically teaches is concentration of expression. Although I am not a filmmaker, I did graduate from Pittsburgh Filmmakers II, film has had a great impact on my writing. I try to use words to create a picture that tells a story. It's helped me publish over 30 pieces of flash fiction. So, yes, try your hand at flash fiction. And as a filmmaker I'm sure you understand the importance of "show don't tell." In flash fiction the scene is your most effective writing tool; it allows the reader to "live" in your story even if it is only 1,000 words or less.

anotherfilmmaker said...

thanks for the comment, writing flash fiction is a great tool! i've been doing it for time some, but this year, i really want to work on it pretty intensely!