6.23.2007

Research

Sometimes as a writer, it's easy to get stuck in your bedroom writing and re-writing. I am in the process of going through more revisions with Raspberry Magic, getting it to a state that I'm completely happy with, and it's tough. This is the round of revisions which really have to make the script pop. Anyway, to get some details for the story, I spent a few hours at a wonderful little nursery here in Santa Monica. In a short amount of time, I learned so much, it was amazing. I got a feel for a small neighborhood nursery like the one in my story, but most importantly, I got to be around people who love plants. I love plants, but it's a fairly new interest for me. But being around people who are extremely passionate around them was infectious. I learned so much about about the different philosophies in caring for plants. I have to keep reminding myself that as a writer, it is my job to get out and see the world, observe. This is what always drew me to writing, and I did so much research as a journalist and documentary filmmaker. But fiction writing also requires in depth research. In fact, any time you can put yourself in front of the genuine article, your writing will feel that much more authentic. Plus, it's great to get out and be around people!! Oh, and the funny thing was, Lauren Hutton was at this nursery! Apparently, she is a hardcore gardener and comes in there three times a week!

No comments: