11.18.2006

What a moron...

I was enjoying a lovely Santa Monica Saturday by biking to the library then grabbing some lunch at The Real Food Daily. While I was sitting outside waiting for a table, I was reading James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia, mostly because I've been meaning to read it forever, and because I am on a kick to read novels that have been translated into films. I was minding my own business, when these two older men glanced at me and chuckled, then one of them asked, "Why is a nice girl like you reading such a dark book?" I was somewhat confounded by the question, because it struck me as one of those "Why is the sky blue?" kind of questions. Or, this guy was just being sexist because he felt that I should be reading a romance novel or something. Anyway, I said, "Because James Elloy is an incredible writer." The guy was even more shocked, because I think he was expecting me to sound much younger than I am, which happens often, because I do look younger than I am. Anyway, he laughed again, and said, "Wow, most of the women I know only read books with pictures in them." I have no idea what kind of women this dude hangs out with, but apparently not ones who read. What a moron.

No comments: